Wednesday, May 22, 2013

05/22/2013

I cannot believe it has already been a week since we said our final good bye to Mac. I miss him every day, think of him every minute, and love him every second of every day. I would give anything to just be able to hold him one more time. There are moments in the day when I feel motivated to continue the work he started of living every moment of every day seeing the joy and love in it. Then there are moments when I walk into his room and can still smell him and feel him. Every day for the split second when I wake up, before I remember the last month, I think he is still here with us. Then I become crippled with fear for a future without him and pain for what we have lost. I know he is flying around up in heaven in his Iron Man costume doing all of the things cancer robbed him of doing in the last 16 months of his life. I just wish I could hear him tell me he is happy and that the choices we made for him were the right ones. I never expected to feel all of the guilt that comes with child loss. Guilt over lost moments that phones and computers could have been put down to watch SpongeBob, guilt over not being able to pick myself up at times to show Liam we will be ok, and guilt over trying to put together a life without him. Mac is the first person I talk to every morning and the last person every night. He is the person who completed our family and showed us all the true meaning of being a hero. I miss him so much it is unbearable at times, but the time we had with him was a gift that I would not trade for anything in the world.

2 comments:

  1. Ms. Becky,
    You are so brave. I think that if you could hear Mac right now, he would be telling you that and what a good mom you are to him. It's all too easy to forget that without supermoms, there are no superheroes. I know that you can't help the guilt you feel right now, but please know that you are one in a million. There is no other mom on the planet to whom God gave the grace to be Liam and Mac's mother, and though I have only met you a few times, I know that you are the best mom in the world to and for your boys. I pray that someday you will be able to see that and have peace with yourself because you do and are much more than you realize. You truly are a supermom.

    "To Peace"~Tony Stark,

    Bridget Handy '13
    Academy of Notre Dame

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to let you know there is a wide circle of people who have been impacted by you and your family. Wishing you comfort and strength, the confidence to know that all concerned know you made the best decisions possible; minute by minute, day by day and year by year. I also hope that it is not too long before you can whole-heartedly recall -- with more joy than grief-- the happy times you had together.

    ReplyDelete