Monday, May 6, 2013

05/06/2013

Mac is still hanging on. I don’t know why I am continuously surprised by the sheer strength and determination of such a little person. We have had to significantly increase the number and dosage of his pain medications. Even the smallest of movements cause him to moan in pain. Today we had oxygen delivered since his numbers were down. The nurse advised me this would not prolong things, just keep him more comfortable. I thought when the decision to bring him home on hospice was made that it was the most difficult thing I had ever done. Now as I sit next to him, holding his hand, watching him struggle to breath, wither away to nothing and cry in pain I realize THIS is the hardest thing I have ever done. The scariest part of knowing that is the realization that this is NOTHING compared to having to learn to live without him here with us every day. Liam was the first person to teach me what unconditional love felt like. Mac was the one who taught me how to just enjoy every moment of life, regardless of who was watching. He would break out into a dance anywhere and everywhere, he wore costumes year round and he pushed every button in me at one point or another just because he knew he could. To see him so lifeless and unable to communicate is breaking my heart more and more with each day. I pray for a peaceful transition for him and the ability to make it through this devastating experience and come out the other side with the ability to still be a good mom for Liam.

3 comments:

  1. We love you, Becky! From the very start you have had not just Mac's, but every family members best interests at heart, and that is the most altruistic act that any person can make.

    Every difficult decision that you have made, and still continue to make is done with the utmost love and care.

    I wish you all love and peace at this difficult time. I am here for you all, today and always.

    Love,
    Cousin Carragh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky,

    You truly are an amazing person, a great mother, and a role model for Liam and Mac. I wish you peace through the difficult transition and knowing that God has a bigger purpose for Mac. He will be the best guardian angel one could ever hope for.

    I wish you love, comfort, and strength and please know that I'm hear to support you in every way I can.

    <3 you always and forever!

    ~Cousin Chrissy

    ReplyDelete