Tuesday, February 12, 2013

MRI TOMORROW


Tomorrow is Mac’s MRI. We have an appointment at clinic at 9 am for his central line port to be accessed and blood work. At 10 we will head over for Mac to meet with his psychiatrist then down to MRI. He is scheduled to go in at 11:30. The MRI lasts about an hour; because he is sedated he will then spend about an hour in recovery. We will then head back up to clinic for his check-up and to meet with his doctor to look at the pictures from the MRI. It will be “unofficial” results, but we should be able to see if the tumor is stable, still shrinking or if there is regrowth.

I was so nervous 2 weeks ago about this MRI. His “road map” was thrown a bit off track for the first time with the low platelet counts and Mac just seemed to be more tired and lethargic than normal. However, the last week has shown a complete turnaround in him. He has been showing us more and more glimpses of the Mac we knew prior to diagnosis. He has been more active, sometimes silly, and dancing again! Those of you who have had the pleasure of spending a lot of time with Mac know he used to make up the craziest dances and would bust a move anytime and anywhere. For such a shy child I was always amazed at his inhibitions when it came to dancing.

We are going into tomorrow’s MRI cautiously optimistic. I have been trying so hard to get out of the funk I have found myself in lately. I think hitting the one year anniversary of diagnosis and always having in the back of my mind the words “the average lifespan from diagnosis is 2 years” have left me fearing and wondering with every day “Is this the last time he will play in the snow” or “Is this the last time we will fill out Valentine’s for his class”. I know Mac is anything but average and continue to pray for continued success with his treatments but have yet to learn to live from my heart and not my head. I just don’t know how to push my fear aside.

Please say a special prayer for Mac and all the other little heroes who are battling this war. Please also pray for their families who live in constant fear everyday of what tomorrow will bring.

2 comments:

  1. Extra special prayers for Mac all week and for you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To my family...

    I wish you all the best of luck tomorrow. I hope Mac's return to his old self is a promising sign of good news on the horizon. I've had the pleasure of seeing that mischievous smile return to his face, and it's the best thing in the world!!

    Love you all!
    Carragh

    ReplyDelete