Tuesday, March 5, 2013

03/05/13 Update


Yesterday was a big day for us. Nothing really happened medically, but Mac stayed in school for the whole day! I cannot remember the last time that happened. When he came home he said he had a good day and although he was not happy to have to go back again today he did. I am so glad he is feeling well enough to spend some time with his classmates before being out of school for a bit.

I had a long talk with Liam and when I say talk I really mean I pushed and pushed until he was in tears. I try to let him come to me when he has something he wants to talk about but I knew there was something going on. I have been trying to get him to spend time with some friends outside of school and have offered to invite people over to the house but he always says no. Finally, through tears he told me he didn’t want anyone from school coming to the house because he is embarrassed. He doesn’t want the kids at school to see his house and be around Mac because it is so different than everyone else’s. He is embarrassed when Mac cannot find the right words when he is upset and throws a fit, embarrassed that our house is so full of medical equipment and our routines to help Mac include IV poles for g-tube feeds and embarrassed that when we do go out as a family it usually means leaving early because Mac has had enough and is not feeling well. It was heartbreaking to see him feel so bad about expressing his feelings because he did not want to have them. I explained to him his feeling were never wrong. He has a right to feel whatever he feels. I know that no child in his class would ever say or do anything to make anyone feel bad about our situation, but an almost 10 year old doesn’t see that. He just see’s that our life in no longer “normal”. So this is my new “project”. I am trying to think of ways to help Liam see that although our home is not the same as most it is still a place for him to feel safe to express his feelings and I am hoping if we can do some activities outside of school with a few kids then maybe he will feel comfortable enough to invite them over.

Mac has surgery a week from today at 7:30 am. It should last about 5 hours and his surgeon explained it is not as complex as the previous surgeries but it is still brain surgery. Never in my life did I ever expect to be planning and prepping for brain surgery for my son, let alone a 3rd one. I am not sure how or why our life has gotten to this point but for now we are managing ok. We have such an amazing support system between our family and friends I cannot even imagine what this would be like without all of you. As I think back to our life pre-diagnosis and I realize we really did have it all. It’s just too bad it takes risking losing it all to make a person realize it. So today I am going to grateful for another day and thankful for the chance to continue making our “new normal” as comfortable as possible.

2 comments:

  1. YAY for Mac staying in school all day!!

    I am just so sorry that Liam is feeling that way. I know how hard it is for us adults to understand and comprehend all of this, I can't even imagine what it must be like for him.
    Extra prayers for him!!!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky,

    I don't know how to say this, so I'm just gonna come out and go with what is on my mind. You...you're just awesome. I'm sure that was very hard to push Liam to get his feelings out, but what a weight lifted off of his shoulders. Whereas most would probably choose to let him work his feelings out, you challenged him and I think he really needed that. The brutal honesty that you share with your boys is what will allow them both to work through their feelings if not now, then at some point in their lives. And that will benefit them both so much. And I know that it must be hard for you sometimes, but I believe that it is all for the best and you are using your knowledge of childhood development to the ultimate extreme. Good for you! More people should be like that.

    Your head-on approach to Mac's cancer is what gives us all the strength to ride the storm. Through it all...the good days, the bad days, the laughs, and the tears - you are caring not just for Mac, but for your entire family, and doing a hell of a job. I know that you have many moments where you just can't find the strength or energy to deal with all that is going on, and that is when we will all step in and help you all with whatever you need.

    I love you all, and I am forever grateful for the outstanding care that Mac is receiving at Tufts. I will be thinking of each and every one of you every day and continue to hope that Mac can defy the odds and show us all who's boss.

    You hang in there. You're kicking some serious ass, even though you may not see it. I'm so proud to call you family.

    Love,
    Cousin Carragh

    ReplyDelete