Tuesday, June 11, 2013

06/11/2013

I cannot believe a whole month has gone by since I last held and kissed my baby. When he was diagnosed I tried so hard to only cry when I was alone so as not to scare either of the boys. I know he is with me when I cry now. Especially during those times when I lay on his bed clutching his favorite Iron Man sweatshirt in one hand and the radiation mask he wore that is molded in the shape of his face in the other, crying so hard I lose my breath and feel sick to my stomach. I know he hears me when through sobs I cry out for help to have the strength to not only go on without him but live in a way he would be proud to say I am his mom. The last month seems so long I cannot imagine what a lifetime of missing him will feel like. I am so grateful to have such an amazing group of friends and family who would give up their Sunday to walk in his honor, donate in his memory, and most importantly not only allow me to keep talking about him but to have never stopped saying his name in front of me. For that I can never thank you enough and because of that I know I will get through this and come out the other side forever changed but not forever bitter. The world has continued to go on regardless of our grief but to have so many people surround us who stop and drop everything and allow their world to pause for a moment to hold me up when I am falling and hug me even when I push them away is a gift I can never repay. Thank you to all of you who have accepted the “new me” with open arms and have helped us to honor Mac over the last month and hopefully will continue to over the many years to come.

2 comments:

  1. Becky,

    I've written a comment and erased it about a dozen times because I can't find the right words to say to you. Nobody can. And that sucks. I wish there was something...anything that I could do to ease your pain, and the rest of my family. But, there just isn't.

    But I can promise this. I will always celebrate Mac's life, and the many fun times that we shared. I will forever remember his pesky smile, like he always had something up his sleeve. I will remember how much he loved to joke, and push the limits. How his face lit up when he'd see "scratchies" from my bag for him. And I will always speak of Mac, because that is what will keep him with us always.

    Love,
    Cousin Carragh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can only say that we'll love you forever, no matter what Becky shows up, our arms, hearts and doors are always open!

    ReplyDelete