Thursday, April 11, 2013

Rough Day for Mac

It is never a dull day in our home. Yesterday Liam was sick so I kept him home from school. He seems to have recovered quickly and is back at school today. Mac on the other hand is really struggling. He has yet to recover from the stomach bug he had on Monday. He is so weak, shaky and unstable. He spends his time on the couch watching tv. Yesterday, he was left alone for a minute and this was when he decided to get up for something. I heard the loud bang and the screaming. When I ran in to see what was wrong I found Mac face first on the floor. He had a huge egg on his forehead, scrapes under his nose and his mouth was bleeding. Once he settled down he seemed to be ok, but still very unstable on his feet. A few hours later he vomited. I called the clinic and was advised to take him to the ER. After a little more than 6 hours, a chest x-ray, and a ct scan we were told the scans showed no major changes and cleared us to go home. Mac has a follow up appointment with his neurosurgeon and the clinic on Monday. As we sat in the ER, I could not help but wonder how our life got here. How is it that as a mom of 2 boys a slip and fall can stop my heart and sucker punch me in the gut? How is it that every resident that walks in here I already know and knows Mac? How is it that my rough and tumble son is so weak and small lying in the hospital bed? Today was a rough day that scared the life out of me. As Mac’s Nana and I walked him out to the car and got him settled he reminded me so much of the last time we all walked Papa out to the car. I am praying that this weakness is just due to his body being tired from being sick Monday and he will recover. Right now he cannot be left alone for a second for fear he will try to walk on his own again. Any time we leave the house it will have to be in his wheelchair because he is so weak and tired. Today I feel tired and overwhelmed.

4 comments:

  1. STUPID, STUPID STUPID CANCER!!!

    I am just so sorry for all that you are going through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky,

    Warning: Obscenities ahead...

    What an emotional roller coaster. I’m so mad that this is happening to people that I love. I know Mac is a daredevil at heart, so to hear of how cancer has robbed him of this characteristic just…it isn’t fair. It’s robbed you and your family of so much. This is just bullshit. Sorry to swear, but that’s all that is coming to me right now. This sucks.

    You just want to wake up tomorrow and find out this was all just a really shitty nightmare.

    F this S,
    Carragh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending a hug your way Becky... And praying for Mac & your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending love and prayers your way every second of every day. It's heartbreaking and maddening to hear your story.

    ReplyDelete