Monday, March 12, 2012

Monday, March 12th

Mac has done amazing this round of chemo. Although we remain in the hospital because of skin irritation around the port site  I am optimistic we will be discharged soon. They are trying a new type of dressing...hopefully this help! I can't wait to get him home to enjoy this nice weather I keep hearing about.

It was funny today because everyone was saying how beautiful it was outside and as I sat here looking around I couldn't help but feel the same way about the BMT unit! It has been so nice here, especially the last couple of nights. After dinner Mac will join 2 other little ladies in the unit as they all ride their tricycles in a circle around the nurses station. The moms will pull up chairs to watch them and chat. I couldn't help but compare it to hundreds of other neighborhoods around New England tonight. Kids were probably outside enjoying the extended sunlight and warm weather. Although we have no natural light in that area and there is no fresh air I sent Mac off to ride his bike telling him to "be careful" and "come home when the streetlights come on". This has become our 2nd home and although the neighbors change frequently I know if ever I needed anything I could always find someone to help! Last night was like a block party when one of the kids brought their IPAD out to play music has they rode their bikes. The irony was not lost on me when the song they chose to play in the Pedi Oncology Unit was Beat It by Michael Jackson. As it played and I looked at these kids I said a prayer that each and every one of them "beats" their cancer!


2 comments:

  1. It is so nice that that they have the tricycles and other riding toys on the BMT so that the kids and be kids, even if they are in such a bad situation. My Alexander loved going on Wagon Rides around the nurses station and saying hello to the other kids in their rooms!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so inspiring to hear happy stories about the kids having fun during such trying times. I'm so happy Mac did much better with his chemo this round. Keep up the great work, Mac!!! Denise, Lexi and Sam


    The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. ~C.C. Scott

    ReplyDelete