Wednesday, January 1, 2014

New Year

Today we said hello to the year 2014 and goodbye to 2013. As I look back on 2013 I see a year filled with more tears than I ever knew I had in me. I remember January 17, 2013 when we recognized the 1 year anniversary of Mac’s diagnosis. This was also the day that we knew meant he had lived halfway through the average lifespan of his diagnosis of 2 years. We learned his tumor was no longer responding to his treatment and scheduled his 3rd brain surgery. We also had the privilege of working with Make-A-Wish to go on our one and only trip with just the 4 of us to meet Robert Downey, Jr. His smiles from that trip will forever bring me peace. Knowing that he was able to meet the one person in the world he most wanted to fills my heart with joy and peace. We will forever be grateful to Robert Downey, Jr. and his whole team for moving so quickly and being so compassionate in fulfilling Mac’s dream. Never in my life would I have imagined starting a new year without one of my sons. Saying goodbye to Mac in 2013 was the single most devastating day of my life. I can still feel the pain in my heart as I think back to the very last kiss I was able to give him. The year of 2013 brought so many unwelcomed changes to our family. I pray for the strength and peace to keep going each day and new ways to honor Mac’s life in 2014. May you all find your new year filled with peace, love, health and happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment